With just a few apples and some basic pantry items, you can make these Classic Amish treats that everyone will love!
Servings: 6 apple dumplings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup butter (softened)
6 apples (peeled and cored)
2 cups water
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Stir the butter into the dry mixture then add the milk and mix into a dough.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces and form them into balls.
- Transfer to a floured surface and roll each ball flat.
- Place an apple in the middle of each piece of dough then fold the dough around the apple pressing together to encase the fruit.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- In a small saucepan or pot, combine the sugar, water, butter, and cinnamon over a medium flame. Stir constantly until the mixture just begins to boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour on top of the apple dumplings.
- Bake them for 30-40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the dough is light brown in color.
- Serve warm.