Moist and delectable Amish cake, rich in citrus flavor and drizzled in a sweet sugar glaze.
Servings: 12 slices of cake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 cups all-purpose
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbs orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
4 tbs orange liquor
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbs orange juice
1 tbs orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment.
- Into a medium, sift the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Zest and juice the oranges.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the eggs until smooth. Add the sugar and beat on high until the volume of the egg mixture has increased by 50 percent.
- Reduce the speed to low then gradually add the oil, liquor, and salt. Continue by adding the flour and orange juice in 5 parts, starting and ending with the flour, scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, tap lightly on the counter to remove any air bubbles, and bake for about an hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Once baked remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Prepare the glaze by whisking in a bowl, the powdered sugar, and orange juice until the mixture is smooth, then add the zest. Brush the glaze onto the cake and serve warm.