Rich and sweet molasses pie with a crumble topping. Shoofly pie is a must-try Amish delicacy!
Servings: 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Additional Time: 1 hour
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs cubed unsalted butter (cold)
3-5 tbs cold water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (cold)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 cup hot water
1 tsp cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, mix the salt and flour, then add the cold shortening and incorporate it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles wet breadcrumbs.
- Add the cold butter cubes into the crumble just until combined, this will result in a combination of small and larger crumbs.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of cold water to the crumble and toss lightly to distribute. Use more water until the mixture holds the shape when squeezed.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Flatten to about an inch thickness, wrap in plastic, and chill for an hour in the fridge.
- Transfer the chilled dough to a flour-dusted surface and gently roll it out to 13 inches wide using a lightly floured rolling pin. Turn as you roll the dough and use more flour on the surface to prevent sticking.
- Starting from one end, carefully lift the dough onto the rolling pin and transfer it to a pie pan, gently tuck the dough into the pan and trim away the excess. Shape the edges as desired and refrigerate while making the filling and topping.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- To make the crumble, mix the flour, brown sugar then use the pastry blender to incorporate the shortening into the mixture until it forms small crumbs, set this aside, and make the filling.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the hot water and set it aside. Combine the molasses, corn syrup, brown sugar, and eggs until blended. Stir in the cornstarch mixture until well combined.
- Pour out half the molasses mixture into the crust, sprinkle half of the crumble on top, and pour the remaining liquid over the crumbs. Top with the rest of the crumble.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 40-50 minutes firm in the center. Cool on a wire rack before serving.