Soft and moist crust with a juicy spiced apple filling and a sweet and crunchy crumble to top it all off. Just One Word, YUM! These scrumptious apple crisp bars capture the true taste of Autumn and it’s Oh So Sweet!
If you enjoy eating apple pie, your gonna love this recipe! It has all the components of the dessert but in a tasty bite-sized package. These apple pie bars are perfect to make for a thanksgiving dinner with family and friends.
These apple crisp bars consist of 3 layers, the crust, filling, and topping. All you have to do is prepare and bake the crust, and while it baking start preparing the filling and topping. With good time management and my expert instruction, you’ll bake the apple crisp bars like a pro.
These bite-sized apple treats are the embodiment of fall, If you don’t feel like making apple pie this year, these would be the perfect substitute! You will have no complaints even from the most die-hard apple pie enthusiast, who knows, making these could be your new family tradition!
How To Serve These Apple Treats?
Apple crisp bars make a delicious dessert or snack, you can enjoy them in the afternoon with a glass of lemonade or milk. For dessert, eat them with some ice cream, whipped cream or a sweet caramel drizzle, or a combination of the three!
This recipe yields only 9 servings which is great if your making them for dessert after dinner. However, if you looking to cater to a large crowd, you can increase the recipe by 2 or 3 times and cut the bars into smaller portions for an even bigger yield.
Mixing bowls– You’ll need at least 3 medium bowls for this recipe.
Electric Mixer– You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
Peeler- Use a vegetable peeler or small knife to peel the apples
Pastry Cutter– You this to combine the flour and butter.
Baking Pan– Use a 9×13 baking pan.
Main Ingredients Of This Dessert
Apples – I use a variety of apples for this recipe but feel free to you your favorite type.
Butter– I used Trader Joe’s butter for this recipe.
White Lily– I found that this brand of flour was perfect for the recipe, but use whichever flour you like.
Margarine– If you don’t have any butter, use margarine as a substitute, it can be one to one ratio to replace the butter.
Pastry Flour– Use equal amounts of this flour to replace the AP flour in the recipe. A total of 3 3/4 cups of flour were used in this recipe.
All The Ingredients
- Butter-Softened and creamed with sugar until smooth.
- Brown Sugar– Adds sweetness to the crust
- Flour– Adds Structure to the crust and absorbs the moisture from the creamed mixture.
- Apples-Peeled, cored, and thinly sliced.
- White Sugar– Adds taste to the filling.
- Flour-Combined with the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and combined with the apples to make the filling.
- Nutmeg– Gives flavor to the filling
- Cinnamon-Adds extra flavor to the apple filling.
- White Sugar-Mixed with brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg to make the crumble topping
- Brown Sugar-Gives flavor, moisture, and color to the topping
- Flour-Provides the crumble with structure and thickness
- Butter-Cut into small pieces and worked into the flour mixture until it was of a crumbly texture
- Cinnamon-Added to the topping for taste.
- Nutmeg-Gives a delicious flavor to the crumble topping.
How To Make Apple Crisp Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 pan with baking paper.
- Beat the sugar and butter until smooth and creamy, then add the flour and blend until combined.
- Press the flour mixture into the baking and bake for 25 minutes until golden around the edges.
- To make the filling, peel, core, and slice the apple into thin pieces and place in a bowl. Add in the flour, sugar, and cinnamon, then gently stir until all the apples are coated in the mixture.
- Place the apple cinnamon mixture in the bottom of the crust in a flat, even layer.
- Make the topping by, combining all the dry ingredients in a medium, cut the butter into small pieces, and add them to the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of the apples in an even layer and bake for 40-50 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Prebake The Crust
After combining the crust ingredients, I transferred the mixture to the prepared pan and pressed it in, and baked it for 25 minutes until lightly browned. Prebaking the crust ensures that once the filling is added it will remain firm and hold its shape instead of becoming soggy.
Making The Topping
To make the topping, I combined all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then added pieces of butter into the flour mixture, and combined them using a pastry cutter. If you don’t have this utensil, you can either use a fork or your hands! Use a pair of food-safe gloves or freshly washed hands to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it is evenly distributed and becomes crumbly in texture.
How should you Store Them?
Apple crisps can be stored for 5 days up to a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can also store baked or unbaked apple crisp bars for 6 months in the freezer, simply place them in an airtight container and freeze!
These yummy apple crisp bars are the perfect fall sweet treat, everyone will love them! Great for parties and potlucks, picnics, dinnertime desserts, or holiday get-togethers, these tasty apple bars will be a crowd favorite wherever you serve them!
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 5-7 medium apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 6 tbs butter
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C and line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the flour and mix until incorporated.
- Place the mixture into the pan and bake for 25 minutes until the edges are light brown.
- Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples to prepare them for the filling.
- Add the flour, sugar, and cinnamon, then stir the apple to coat them, and pour the mixture onto the crust in an even layer.
- Combine all the dry ingredients for the topping, curt the butter into small pieces and cut them into the flour mixture until evenly distributed(the mixture should be crumbly in texture).
- Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the apple filling in an even layer and bake this for 45-50 minutes until golden on top.
- Allow this to cool, slice, then serve warm.