A soft, tender, and buttery choux pastry crust, paired with a rich and creamy chocolate cream cheese filling, this Chocolate Cream Puff Dessert is positively Delightful. Experience the flavorful union of the chocolate and cream cheese your tastebuds will thank you for it.
Sit back and enjoy this dessert on a warm afternoon, with a good book and the sweet sound of birds chirping in the distance. Share this with that special someone after a romantic homecooked dinner, they’ll surely be impressed!
This recipe is fairly easy to follow and can be completed in under an hour. It starts off with a classic choux pastry recipe, baked like a crust and cooled. This is then followed up by a simple chocolate cream cheese filling. This recipe only takes 50 minutes to complete and couldn’t be more delicious!
Chocolate And Cheese
What I like most about this recipe is the combination of cheese and chocolate in the filling. These two ingredients are very different in terms of flavor but they go so well together. Combined, these two make the chocolate cream puff rich in both flavor and texture!
How To Serve
Once the pudding has been chilled and set, finished it off with the whipped topping and candy pieces of your choosing. If candy isn’t your cup of tea, melt some semi-sweet or dark chocolate and drizzle on top. For a texture enhancement, add whole or chopped nuts!
This Chocolate cream puff recipe makes 16 servings which is a great dessert option if you’re planning to have guests over for dinner. The is yet delicious recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser among friends and family alike.
Bowl– 2 medium mixing bowls, metal or glass.
Saucepan– Use a small saucepan or pot.
Electric Mixer– Use a hand mixer or stand mixer.
13”x9” baking pan– Use 1 of these or a heatproof glass pan of the same size.
Wooden spoon– a regular wooden spoon will work.
Type of Main Ingredient
Philadelphia Cream Cheese– This cream cheese has the richest, most delicious flavor of all the brands I’ve tried.
Kraft Cool Whip– When it comes down to taste and creaminess, this whipped topping is my first choice.
Substitute For An ingredient
Heavy Whipping Cream– Beat 1 cup of whipping cream until it thickens, then add 3 tbs of powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp of vanilla, continue to beat until soft.
Ricotta Cheese and Yogurt– To make a cream cheese substitute for this recipe, mix equal parts ricotta cheese and plain yogurt
- Butter– Combined with the water and salt and brought to boil in a saucepan.
- Water– boiled with the butter
- Salt– added to the liquid ingredients for flavor
- Flour– Added to the water and butter mixture to form a dough for the crust.
- Eggs– Beaten into the dough one at a time.
- Cream cheese- Used in the filling
- Milk– Warmed and mixed with the cream cheese.
- Chocolate Pudding– Mixed in with the cream cheese and milk mixture for the filling.
- Whipped Topping– Used to cover the pudding and crust.
- Candy– Sprinkled atop the whipped topping as a garnish
Steps To Follow
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- In a small saucepan or pot combine the water, salt, and butter, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the flour with the butter mixture until it forms a soft dough.
- Allow the dough to cool for 5 minutes, then use a wooden spoon to mix in 4 eggs. Ensure that each egg is incorporated before adding another.
- Pour the dough into a greased baking pan(13”x9”) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the crust is baked, remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Heat the milk inside the microwave until lukewarm.
- Add 1 cup of lukewarm milk to the cream cheese and beat this until the cheese softens up.
- Next, pour the chocolate pudding and the remaining milk into the cheese mixture beat this until smooth.
- Scrape the pudding mixture onto the crust, chill this until the filling is set.
- Pour out the entire whipped topping container over the cheese filling, Place the candy bits on top to garnish.
Adding The Eggs
When the dough has been removed from the flame and cooled for 5 minutes, it’s time to add the eggs. A total of 4 eggs are to be added to the mixture one at a time, making sure that each egg is blended well before adding another. This prevents the batter from curdling, which would affect the texture of the final product.
Warming The Milk
In this recipe, a microwave was used the warm the milk slightly before adding it to the cream cheese to make the filling. If you don’t want to use a microwave to do this step, use the stove instead. In a small pot over very low heat, use a finger to stir the milk until it becomes lukewarm.
Note: Ensure that your hands are washed before using this step.
How To Store
This chocolate cream puff dessert is best eaten freshly made, as they don’t store well; however, if you must store leftovers, cover the container in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator between 2-3 days at most. Keep in mind that this will likely affect the taste and texture.
This decadent chocolate cream puff dessert is perfect for special occasions such as anniversaries and bridal showers, have at brunch, or a dinnertime dessert; either way, with a yield of 16 servings, they’ll be plenty of cream puff to go around.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cream cheese (room temp)
- 1/4 cup chocolate pudding
- 3 3/4 cups milk (slightly warm)
- 1 tub whipped topping
- 1/3 cup of your favorite candy bits.
- In a saucepan, combine the water, salt, and butter and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add in all of the flour and stir the mixture until it becomes a dough. Set asde and allow the dough to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon beat in the four eggs into the dough, one at a time.
- Spread the mixture into a 13"x9" pan and bake at 400°F for half an hour or until golden brown.
- Set the crust aside to cool.
- Using a microwave, slightly warm the milk. Add 1 cup of the warm milk to bowl with the cream cheese and beat until it sofens the cheese.
- Add both boxes of the chocolate pudding and the remainder of the milk to the cream cheese mixture and beat until blended and lump-free.
- Pour the cheese pudding mixture into the crust and refrigerate until the filling has set. Spread the entire tub of whipped topping onto the pudding and garish with the candy bits.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.