This moist apple-flavored cake is a timeless classic that still captivates and delights the taste buds.
Servings: 12 slices
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Additional Time: 2 days
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups apples (peeled and chopped)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 to 5 cups water (separated)
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup molasses
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
- In a large Dutch oven, add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Slowly mix until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Over medium-high heat, cover the apples in water and boil the apple spice mixture.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until the apples are fork-tender and the sauce thickens. Stir frequently and add more water as needed.
- Take the pot from the heat and use a potato masher to carefully mash the apple into smaller pieces.
To Make The Cake Dough
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease two to three 9 inch cake pans with nonstick spray.
- Cream the sugar, molasses, and shortening in a large bowl until the mixture is smooth, then add eggs one by one, beating each one well before adding another.
- In a separate bowl, use a pastry cutter to combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- Using the hook attachment on the mixer, combine a third of the flour and half of the buttermilk until blended. Add another third of the flour with the remaining half of the buttermilk and mix well.
- Add the last third of the flour slowly, gently allowing the mixer to knead the mixture to a cookie dough consistency.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut the dough into six equal pieces. Then roll out a piece of dough into a slightly shy of a 9-inch circle.
- Insert the round in one of the pans and use your finger to fit it into the bottom. Lightly prick the dough all over with a fork and bake for 15 minutes until firm.
- Once the first layer is baked, take it from the oven, place it on a cake plate, and spread a cup of apple filling over the top.
- Repeat the process, adding another layer of cake on top, followed by more apple mixture. Continue doing this until you’ve made six layers.
- Place the cake in an airtight container and allow it to rest at room temperature for about two days.
- Slice and serve.