Delicious chickpeas spiced, and baked to a crisp, this tasty classic is a nutritious and budget-friendly snack everyone will love! These crunchy peas are so versatile, they can be eaten in a number of ways, and they’re easy to make!
They can be eaten as a healthy snack, combined with meat dishes for a spicy and delicious dinner, mix them into your salads for some texture and flavor, or you can even use them to make a delicious chicken gyro. They’ll make any dish more delicious!
This oven roasted chickpeas recipe is simple and straightforward. There were no complicated techniques or equipment used in the making of these crispy treats, all you need is a bowl, paper towels and a baking sheet. It takes just 5 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to bake. Just follow my instructions and you’ll do great!
Delicious and Nutritious!
These crunchy little bites are not just tasty, they’re good for you too! Chock-full of nutrients such as protein, vitamin B, calcium, zinc, and magnesium (to name a few), chickpeas offer a number of health benefits like maintaining blood sugar levels and reducing the risk of heart disease.
How Should You Serve Oven Roasted Chickpeas?
These delicious peas make a great addition to tacos, quesadillas, and gyros. It also goes well with meats beef or chicken. Serve these up in a salad with some veggies and you’re golden! They can even be eaten as a snack!
This recipe makes 4 servings of roasted chickpeas. This serving size is ideal for dinner at home with the family. If you’re intent is to accommodate guests, then you’ll need more servings. Simply adjust the recipe according to your needs.
Bowl– You will need a bowl to combine the chickpeas with the spices.
Baking Sheet – Use a non-stick baking sheet or sheet pan to roast the chickpeas.
Colander– Use a regular colander to drain the liquid from the chickpeas. If you don’t have one, use a strainer instead.
Main Ingredients Of This Dish
Goya– For the recipe, I used the brand of chickpeas and it worked out great! However, if you have a brand that you prefer, use that instead.
McCormick– I this brand of garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to season the chickpeas
Vegetable oil– If you’re fresh out of olive oil, vegetable oil will do this trick. Just sub 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil for the olive oil in this recipe.
Kosher Salt– Ran out of sea salt? Just an equal amount of kosher salt to replace it.
All The Ingredients
- Chickpeas– Drained and seasoned with spice and olive oil.
- Olive Oil– Used to coat the chickpeas.
- Onion Powder– Mixed with the other spices and used to season to peas.
- Garlic Powder– Adds flavor to the chickpeas.
- Black Pepper– Used to season the chickpeas
- Sea Salt– Brings out the flavor of the dish.
How We Made It?
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Using a colander, drain the liquid from the canned chickpeas, then rinse in cold water.
- Dry the excess moisture from the chickpeas using paper towels.
- In a large bowl, toss to combine, the chickpeas, olive oil, and spices until evenly coated.
- Transfer the seasoned chickpeas to a non-stick baking sheet and place then in the oven for 30-40 minutes until they become light brown in color.
Dry The Peas
After draining the liquid from the chickpeas, I used some paper towels to really get in there and dry any remaining moisture from the peas. If you’re wondering why let me explain. The aim is to bake the chickpeas crispy, if there’s moisture on the peas, they’ll be a soupy mess when the oil and spices are added and you don’t want that.
Prep The Sheet
Once the chickpeas had been coated in the olive oil and spices, I placed them on a nonstick sheet and popped them in the oven. If you don’t have a non-stick sheet, just use a regular one lined with parchment. This will do the trick and prevent your peas from sticking to the pan.
Storing Oven-Baked Chickpeas
To store these crunchy treats, place them in an airtight dish or jar, and leave them at room temperature for up to 2 days. To store them for longer periods, place them in the same container and refrigerate for 3-5 days.
Crunchy, delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive to make, these oven-baked chickpeas make the perfect snack or addition to your veggie salads. These crispy little peas are so yummy, they’re a hit with adults and the kids too! Make them and store them as a snack for your family, and trust me they’ll be all gone before the week is done.
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C
- Open the can of chickpeas, drain the liquid and rinse the peas in cold water.
- Using a paper towel, pat the peas dry then transfer to a large bowl with the olive oil.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. toss or stir to combine.
- Place the seasoned peas on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- You can garnish with olive oil and fresh parsley to add some more taste and make it attractive for serving.