Moist and tender skillet cake with a pineapple and cherry topping that’s as beautiful as it is delicious.
Servings: 12 slices
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs (separated)
1 cup white sugar
8 tbs unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1tbs vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 tbs butter (cold)
1 can pineapple rings (20 oz)
24 maraschino cherries
- Set the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C. Using a cooking spray, lightly grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Whisk to combine with the baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set it aside.
- In 2 separate bowls, whisk the egg yolks, set aside, and beat the whites until foamy.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and smooth, add the egg yolks, and combine. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the dry ingredients, alternate with the milk, and mix until each addition is incorporated.
- Gently fold in the egg whites, then the vanilla into the batter, and set aside.
- Melt the cold butter in the skillet, then sprinkle an even layer of sugar on top, place the pineapple rings on the sugar layer.
- Carefully spoon out the cake batter into the pan, then bake it for 35-45 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once baked, move the cake to a counter, gently loosen the edges, and carefully invert onto a plate.
- Gently lift off the baking pan, scoop out pineapple and sugar topping onto the cake if it sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Decorate with the cherries, slice, and serve.