Delicious tomatoes baked into a pie crust covered with shredded parmesan cheese and green onions, if the sight of this Philadelphian favorite doesn’t get you, the aroma surely will. The smell of freshly baked crust, melted cheese, and seasoned tomatoes come together in perfect mouthwatering harmony.
The look, taste, and smell of this pie are all reminiscent of pizza, Sign Me Up. This tasty recipe can be used for almost any occasion, Weddings, Baby shower, Birthday Parties, Thanksgiving, you name it! This tomato pie can be eaten at any time of the day, from breakfast to lunch, dinner, and everything in between, enjoy this savory dish whenever and wherever you please.
This recipe for tomato pie is very simple, just stack the ingredient inside the pie crust and bake! Easy right? There are only 6 ingredients in this pie, most of which, you probably already have in your pantry! So go on, give it a try.
This recipe is super delicious, easy to prepare, has very few ingredients, and best of all, it’s affordable to make! The lowcost ingredients and the rich flavor of the pie make this recipe the ideal budget meal!
How To Serve
This tomato pie can be served hot, warm, or cold! The savory flavor of this dish makes it a perfect appetizer or side dish or a one-pot meal. It goes well with sparkling wine, juice, or a cocktail. Serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
This recipe makes 6-8 servings, making it perfect for a family dinner, a small get-together, or brunch with friends. This tomato pie is great for weeknights and weekends, holidays, and special occasions. Have this with your favorite meat dish and trust me, you’ll have zero complaints.
Bowl– Use one medium mixing bowl, metal, glass or plastic will work.
Wooden spoon– a regular wooden spoon for this recipe.
Mandoline Slicer – Use this or a knife to slice the tomatoes.
Type of Main Ingredient
Pillsbury Pie Crust– This brand makes the best savory crust in my opinion.
Kraft 100% Parmesan Cheese– This brand of parmesan cheese works best for this pie recipe.
Hellmann’s Mayonnaise– I found that this mayonnaise works great in this recipe.
Tomatoes– The best type of tomatoes to use are firm ones. They’ll be easier to cut!
Substitute for an ingredient
Greek Yogurt– This is similar in taste and texture to mayonnaise which makes it the ideal substitute.
Grana Padano– An inexpensive alternative to parmesan cheese. This cheese has a strong and nutty flavor similar to that of parmesan. Use in a one to one ratio.
- Tomatoes– Sliced, placed in the pie shell, and season with salt.
- Green Onion– Chopped and spread into an even layer on the tomatoes.
- Mayonnaise– Mixed with the parmesan cheese and spread on top of the tomatoes and green onions.
- Parmesan cheese– Mixed with the mayonnaise, adds flavor and texture to the pie.
- Salt And Pepper– Used to season the tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- Prebake the pie crust (as per the label instructions) and cool.
- Make 1-2 layers of tomato slices at the bottom of the pie crust, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the green onions evenly on the seasoned tomato slices forming a layer.
- Stir together the mayonnaise and parmesan cheese, then pour the mixture on top of the green onion layer and bake for ½ hour – 40 minutes.
- Once the top is golden and it starts to bubble, removes from the oven and cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
3 large tomatoes were used in this recipe. They were washed and sliced before being placed at the bottom of the pie shell. You can use a knife to slice them or, for more even cuts, use a mandoline slicer. The thinner the slices, the quicker they will bake.
Dehydrate the Tomatoes
Once the tomatoes have been sliced, the next thing you’ll have to do is remove the moisture from them. First, place the sliced tomatoes on some paper towels and sprinkle with salt, over time all the juices will seep out of the tomatoes and into the towel. The second way to do this is to line a baking tray with the slices and bake for a couple of minutes or until they are to your liking.
Tomato pie can be stored in the refrigerator, simply cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, the pie must be consumed within 2-3 days. For the second way, wrap the leftover pie in a layer of cling, then a layer of foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.
This recipe for Tomato Pie is easy, tasty, and budget-friendly! If you’re looking for a simple, delicious, and low-cost recipe to wow your friends, family, or guests, then you’ve certainly found it! Everyone will love it!
- 1 Pie Crust (Storebought)
- 3 Large Tomato
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Onions
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- Partially bake the pie crust, then allow it to cool.
- Place 1-2 layers of the sliced tomatoes at the bottom of the pie shell and season with salt and pepper.
- Make an even layer of chopped onions on top of the sliced tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the parmesan cheese and the mayonnaise, then spread evenly over the tomatoes and chopped onions.
- Bake this for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Let it cool for about 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.