If you’re a chocoholic, this Vintage Chocolate Pie recipe is just for you! Rich chocolate filling in a buttery pie crust and topped in soft and delectable meringue.
Servings: 6-8 slices of pie
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 pie crust (9-inch)
3 tbs plain flour
4 tbs cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 milk
3 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter
3 egg whites
6 tbs white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Combine all the flour, sugar, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl.
- Add the yolks to the dry mixture, then stir in the milk a little at a time until blended. In a saucepan over low heat, stir the milk mixture for about 5 minutes until it thickens up.
- Mix in the butter and vanilla into the filling and pour it into the baked pie crust.
- In a chilled bowl, beat the egg whites on a high speed until it has soft peaks, add the sugar, and continue to beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Place the meringue topping over the chocolate layer and use the spoon to pull into a peak as a decorative touch.
- Bake the pie in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.
- Cool, slice, and serve.