Tender, delicious, and easy to prepare. This dish consists of dates, baking powder, and flavored with raisins. The Vintage Date Bread does not contain any sugar, but the taste will amaze you. This recipe was born from a sugar shortage; hence, it does not use sugar, but instead, you can add honey, molasses, or corn syrup as a sweetener for the date bread. Either way, it’s a treat worth trying.
Super Easy Date bread
The ingredients in this recipe are easy to source and budget-friendly. This delectable bread takes a little over an hour to prepare and cook, and our steps are so simple, anyone can make this bead like a pro.
All you need to do is boil some water, add the ingredients according to the instructions below, pour the mixture into a grease loaf pan, and bake for 40 minutes. How convenient.
What I like About This Recipe
This fantastic date bread is affordable, easy to prepare, excellent for any occasion, delicious, and you can eat it at any time of day. Anyone will gravitate to this recipe because it looks tasty, and it tastes even better than you think. One dish that everyone will enjoy. Love it!
How to serve the date bread?
The nourishing date bread is best served warm with a glass of milk. You can have a slice for dessert, brunch, or on-the-go snacking. Hungry? Grab a piece, and you are good to go.
This recipe yields ten servings of the date bread. This serving size is ideal for a small kids” party, family dinner, or a picnic with a few friends. If you live alone, this bread will serve for a week if stored properly.
Are you feeding a large group? Don’t worry; you can make the portions smaller or add more ingredients when preparing.
Pot – you will need a small pot or saucepan to boil water and some of the ingredients.
Loaf pan – a standard size loaf pan is used for baking the bread.
Fork – you will need this to mash the date mixture.
Main Ingredients Used
Dates – dried dates are to be boiled and incorporated in this recipe.
Raisins – you can use any raisins you choose; you can also use nuts if you prefer.
Raisins – not a fan of raisins? You can use nuts if you want. Although it is considered the main ingredient, feel free to replace it if you wish.
All-Purpose Flour – you can substitute this with a gluten-free flour blend.
All the Ingredients
• Dates – Boiled and mashed to create a paste.
• Baking soda – Used as a leavening agent and lightens the texture of the bread.
• Butter – Incorporated with baking soda and dates.
• Flour – Mixed with baking powder and raisins.
• Baking powder – used as the raising agent in this recipe.
• Raisins – added to enhance the flavor.
• Egg – beaten eggs are added to the date mixture to combine with the flour mixture.
How to prepare the bread
1. In a small pot, pour 1 cup of water and boil. Mix in butter, dates, and baking soda into the boiling water.
2. Lower the heat and continue to boil for 20 minutes or until the dates become tender. Using a fork, mash the dates into a paste, then set it aside to cool.
3. In another bowl, combine baking powder, flour, and raisins.
4. Once the dates have cooled, pour in the beaten egg and ½ cup of hot water and stir until blended.
5. Mix the liquid ingredients with the flour and stir until well blended. Pour into a well-greased loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick is placed in the center and comes out clean.
6. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
Create A Paste
In this recipe, we boiled the dates until they are soft and other ingredients and then mashed the mixture to create a paste. This method gives the bread a smoother texture, which you want to achieve by preparing your date bread.
Switch It Up!
This method requires you to use a standard-sized loaf pan, but you can also use a 6.5” x 4” x2” loaf pan to bake your bread. It will require a little more time to bake, but it doesn’t affect the taste, which is more important in this case.
Storing The Date Bread
Cover the date bread with foil or plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. It will last for up to 2 days at room temperature. If you aren’t eating all the bread within 2 to 3 days, yes, it can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Do you enjoy the taste of fruit-breads? Here is the perfect recipe for you. Grab a slice of this moist, tender, and tasty date bread and enjoy. You can also toast a cut if you want for breakfast or a midday snack. This bread convenient in so many ways. It is easy to prepare and budget-friendly. Be sure to put it on your to-do list. Pleased is what you will be, and that’s for sure.
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hot water
- In a small pot, pour 1 cup water and boil. Stir in butter, dates, and baking soda once the water begins to boil.
- Reduce the heat and continue to boil for 20 minutes or until the dates become soft. Use a fork to mash the date mixture to create a paste and to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, flour, and raisins.
- After the dates are cooled completely, add in the beaten egg and hot water, then combine.
- Combine the date mixture with flour and stir well. Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees F or until an inserted wooden pick to the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, slice, and serve.