Chewy, sweet, and delectable, they taste as good they look—the perfect treats for snack lovers. If you are looking for tasty new ways to use the same great molasses you know and love, then this is one for the books. You will enjoy this treat.
Despite the lengthy list of ingredients, the molasses bars aren’t challenging to make at all. It’s surprisingly easy to prepare and doesn’t require much time. It will take a total of 45 minutes to prep and make them.
Rich Molasses Flavor
The fact that molasses is the main ingredient makes this treat so delicious that the delightful taste will amaze you. These molasses bars are unbeatable soft, chewy, and sweet tasting. Please don’t eat them all by yourself; remember to share.
How To Serve
This dish can be served as an afternoon treat, maybe for a picnic date or brunch snack. You can also add this to your child’s lunch kit or have it on the go as a quick breakfast, lunch, or snack.
The molasses bars are best to serve at room temperature with a cold beverage of your choice.
This recipe yields 30 servings of delicious molasses bars. This amount is perfect for your next get-together or party. Both kids and adults alike will enjoy them. If this is their first time trying this tasty treat, their reaction will take your breath away.
• Mixing bowls – You will need two separate bowls to incorporate the ingredients, both dry and wet.
• Whisk – Use this or a fork to mix the dry ingredients.
• Baking Sheet – The dough is placed on this to bake in the oven.
Molasses – The main ingredient used in this recipe is molasses. The best molasses to use is unsulfured molasses. This type of molasses has the best flavor and the sweetest taste. It is the most refined as opposed to the other types.
Cinnamon –You can use cinnamon extract or nutmeg as an alternative for this ingredient if you choose not to use it or you happen to run out. It will not change the flavor of the molasses bar you want to achieve.
All The Ingredients Used
• White Sugar – Creamed with butter.
• Brown Sugar – Gives the flavor and color of the bar.
• Margarine – You can also use butter; to be creamed with sugar to help create the dough.
• Eggs – Added to the mixture enhance structure and flavor.
• Raisins – You can also use prunes or dry cranberries.
• Molasses – This is the main flavor in the bars.
• Flour – Provides the bars with structure.
• Baking Powder – Added to the mixture to lighten the texture of the bars.
• Baking Soda – Used as a leavening agent.
• Cinnamon – Used as a flavoring agent and adds color.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cream the margarine and sugars together; add the eggs and beat well.
3. Stir the molasses with the margarine and sugar mix until combined.
4. Using a whisk, mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix well.
5. Stir the raisins into the dough.
6. Cut the dough into half, then form three long rolls from each piece of dough.
7. Transfer them to a cookie sheet.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
9. Allow them to cool completely before slicing them into squares
Why should I let them cool before slicing?
I did this because once cooled; the bars are firm and easier to cut. When hot, It will be sticky and too soft. So please wait until the bar is cool before cutting; you’ll thank me later.
Alternative For Baking Sheet
For this recipe, I used baking sheets to make the molasses bars. You can also use a 9×9 inch baking pan if you don’t have any baking sheets. Cookie sheets are great alternatives as well so feel free to use those.
How to store
Molasses bars are so tempting and delicious that I doubt they will last more than a day. In case they do, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or keep them for up to 3 months in the freezer.
These soft and chewy bars are tasty and irresistible. You can have them whenever you feel for them and make some delicious memories with the people you love the most. Watch the Molasses bars become one of your favorites. They’re the treat that will draw your loved ones closer.
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream the margarine and sugars together; add the eggs and beat well.
- Combine the molasses with the margarine and sugar mix.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add in your raisins. Divide the dough into half and form three long rolls from each half on a cookie sheet.
- Build them up as high as possible and fit them across a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let them cool completely before slicing them into squares.